14 February 2010

Le silence de Lorna (Lorna's Silence)



Instantly I knew this was something like how I want my script to feel. Dardenne films move along quietly but efficiently, and the characterization comes through observation of detail rather than from elaborate set-ups or snuck-in exposition. Little moments tell us everything.

As to the story itself, it certainly had some twists I didn't anticipate, and I was left unsure about the ending... in a good way, I think. I mean, was Lorna a little crazy or what? Two movies in a row that feel straightforward but with a highly ambiguous end. In Pontypool it was just the very last beat; here it was the entire third act, but either way: Movies that give me that much to mull over and leave me with questions instead of easy answers? Yes, please.

No comments: