12 February 2010

싸이보그지만 괜찮아 (I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK)



Boy. I must be in comparing mode lately, but nonetheless: this struck me as a little bit Wong Kar-Wai (specifically Fallen Angels and 2046), a little bit Terry Gilliam (the asylum scenes from 12 Monkeys and Fisher King, but also Tideland), and a little bit overblown-whimsy (say, Amélie or The Happiness of the Katakuris maybe).

Every five minutes or so, my opinion of this movie changed. I loved moments; I was a little bored at others; sometimes I got what it was doing but didn't like it; other times I had no idea what was going on but liked it anyway. In the end, I liked it okay. It feels uneven and heartfelt. It is hard to imagine this as a follow-up to Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Lady Vengeance. And yet, here it is.

No comments: