14 June 2010

Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb *



On a personal note, I just stupidly broke my five-year-old custom-made neon sign, a relic from an early short film of mine, and the experience is surprisingly nerve-wracking and even a little depressing. I don't have much (right now) to add to my thoughts about one of my all-time favorite films anyway, but especially after this stupid moment of poor planning and sentimental loss, let's just leave it at, I got to see a film print and that was really awesome, and Dr. Strangelove remains one of the greatest films of all time. Every frame and line and subtle action is potent and symbolically charged and brilliantly played to its fullest capacity for meaning, and the humor is at times subtle and layered, at others direct and overt. I love it. But alas, right now I'm kind of bummed out, so I don't have much to add to the discussion.

Seen (on a film print!) at the Laurelhurst Theatre.

No comments: