17 April 2010

Horse Feathers



The movie that inspired a Portland band, a Woody Allen film and a spy movie or whatever. The Marx Brothers are a fascinating team. I don't know who to compare the tone and style to... maybe Monty Python? They just throw every idea into a story, every gag they can think of. Some of them work like gangbusters, others are barely worth the groan they induce. But overall the effect is amazing: so much energy, so many funnies. It was a true comedy, though: brilliant, nonstop hilarity in act one; mixed bits of humor and plot in act two; and a third act that's kind of all over the place.

It's not exactly deep, but there's something artful about it nonetheless. I can't say exactly what I mean by that, but I mean something. For my money, Duck Soup and Animal Crackers are stronger efforts, but you can't not love a Marx Brothers film.

No comments: