15 March 2010

The Informant!



I put it on as background, but this is one of those engrossing movies you can get caught up in. I have said before, movies about lies and lying make for fascinating drama, and the weird balance between what the character is doing, what the character tells himself he is doing, and how much we know/understand about what the character is doing -- it's really amazing.

Knowing better how it goes, if anything I was surprised by how fast the story moves, and how beautiful and economical each scene is. Nothing is wasted -- never a surprise from someone like Soderbergh, but always a pleasure to see in effect. The music cues transform staid thriller moments into vivid tragicomedy, leaning hard on the comedy.

I don't know, but I think I mark this up there with The Limey and sex, lies as some of Steven Soderbergh's strongest work.

No comments: